lgbt community

Friday, December 4, 2009

My Mom Totally Gets It!

In my last blog entry I told the story of how my mom looked through the tie section at Walmart with me. That was the day that I thought "Wow, she finally gets me." I felt like there was a little bit of a disconnect after I came out to her. I felt like she didn't quite understand because she kept telling me not to close the door on men. Quite frankly the door has never been open just unlocked until recently (Hee hee I love speaking in metaphors, it's a hobby of mine). I decided that she just needs time to process the fact that her only daughter is a lesbian. I dropped the subject and just gave her some space to come to terms with it. She completely supports me in every way possible and I don't think I could have asked for a better mom. The day that she looked through ties with me was pretty monumental in my book. However, tonight on our way home from picking up pizza she told me that she explained to two of the guys at the bar who lipstick lesbians are. I was so proud! They commented on how when I was in there waiting for my oil in my car to be changed next door, I made them watch The Ellen Degeneres Show. They don't really know what to think of Ellen but they said her wife is hot (I could not agree more). My mother proceeded to tell them that Portia de Rossi is a lipstick lesbian. Then she explained to them that lipstick lesbians are girly girls. I could not believe that my mom had picked up some of my gay vocabulary. That moment in the car with her totally blew away tie shopping. That was when I truly knew that my mom totally gets it now.

I looked up lipstick lesbian in the Urban Dictionary and my usage of the term is wrong. Portia de Rossi is a femme. The two terms can be used interchangabley on the outside, however, lipsticks and femmes are not attracted to the same type of women. I am not going to explain lesbian stereotypes nor do I ever intend to. I hate stereotypes with a passion and the majority of lesbians don't fit into just one anyway. Every person is just their self and stereotypes take away individuality.

I'm going to end this post with the fact that I am ecstatic about my mom embracing my sexuality! I leave you to ponder until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment